Mel's Grandma's Persimmon Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup persimmon pulp
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, salt and spices; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the shortening with the sugar using a hand mixer. Beat in egg then beat in persimmon pulp. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until everything is combined. By hand, stir in the nuts and raisins.
4. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. They can be placed close together because these cookies don’t spread much.
5. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for five minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes * 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice can be used to replace the cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
Adapted from http://pinchmysalt.com/persimmon-cookies-recipe/